Monday, January 19, 2009

Allow me to introduce myself...




Yes yes yall, this is Kyle "K-Easy" Dixon. I am the production manager/producer of the "Tougher Than Leather" Documentary and one half of Precise Minds Filmworks. I have always been involved with the culture of Hip Hop way before we decided to do this project. Its so much I could discuss on how the culture has affected my life for the better. By not being from a major urban city (Nashville), I had to get my fix through my older bro( D what up!) his rap tapes, and Mtv-Bet Hip Hop programs along with my first ever concert which was the Run DMC - Beastie Boys tour August 1, 1987. Even though the media can sometimes have a skewed perception, this culture was so new that they didn't know how to take it or what its impact would really be on society. I attached to it immediately because here were these young black men and women who were doing these profound things with so much style it was hard not to take notice. Especially being in the Dirty South it was a rarity to see an abundance of black folks on TV or in your community that were undeniably talented with this type creative energy. These Mcs DJs, Bboys/Bgirls, Graff writers gave me a sense of pride. They had the courage to do these things and say things that were against the status quo, because it needed to be said/done. I found out about various topics (vegetarianism, black history, cultural genocide, Africa..thru Hip Hop! Defiant...intelligent...creativity.
I absorbed it, practiced it and became a faithful citizen (Zulu Nation member since 2000). This project is my dedication for the culture that helped me understand that we a have a collective spirit that won't be extinguished and its magnitude of potential has yet to be fully realized. As WE are, Hip Hop is. 'We' are the citizens of the world. What is true Hip Hop? Well, with this project we plan to do our part to shed sum light on that.... word-life!

"K-Easy"

No comments: