Thursday, January 1, 2009

TTL interviews

So far making this film has been an amazing experience for me. I am not a filmmaker of any sorts...I respect the craft but my art is organizing. I am the Assistant Production Manager for the Tougher Than Leather Hip Hop documentary. My film experience pales in comparison to the awesome "precise minds" that I have the pleasure to work with and learn from while working on this project. Using my talent and skill of organizing people and tasks to see this project come into fruition has become a passion of mine. Why did I get involved? Well I love to be apart of anything progressive and its just a plus that this project combines my love of indie film and Hip Hop. Hip Hop, I am apart of this culture, and as an elder once asked me, "well, what is it that you are contribuiting to it?"...I agree it is critical that we be much more than just consumers...especially in this day in time when bogus rap music is masquerading as Hip Hop. Well, Im not going to get on a soapbox about that, but instead express my gratitude to be able to contribute to this magnificent culture in such a way.
Thus far on our journey, we have interviewed noteworthy and respected figures that in their own rights have contributed much to the culture. Those interviews include Charlie Ahearn, Bom 5, Alex Shtaerman and Sonia Sanchez. Each interview was absolutely amazing and unique in its own way. Charlie was easy going and straight to the point; he is a humble servant who has been able to capture the culture through film. Bom 5 is a true "street griot," retelling stories from his many experiences b-boying and tagging during Hip Hop's early years in NY. Alex was honest and laid back; he has continued to offer his talents to assist our project. Every interview was a jewel, but the one I wish to expound on at this time was with our beloved sister and renowned poet Sonia Sanchez. What a gracious lady. From the very first time I spoke with her over the phone she was encouraging and willing to help with the film. When myself and director Kris Smallwood met with her in her home, we were welcomed by a tiny woman with a spirit the size of a giant. Being in her presence you can't help but to be absorbed. She spoke casually from the moment we entered and we listened intently. It was like sitting at the feet of a grandparent listening closely as they tell stories and impart wisdom. She spoke of the Black Arts Movement, Revolution, Womanhood, Respect, Art and Hip Hop; beautifully and effortlessly intertwined like poetry. She showed us photographs of herself and respected Hip Hop artists such as the legendary Rakim. The interview lasted probably close to two hours. Two hours of complete inspiration. She is the type of woman that a every hungry, driven, and progressive young sister like myself aspires to be like. Before we left she sent us with offerings of bottled spring water, fresh peaches that had been cleansed with peppermint soap, and copies of her most recent cd. What more could we ask for?! My small contribution to the culture has once again given me so much more.
We at Precise Minds want to thank all persons that have so graciously been apart of our project, and also those that we have yet to interview, but have agreed to help manifest our vision. The time is soon coming.
I've said enough for now, but will return with many more tales along our amazing journey of Hip Hop and filmmaking.
Peace and Progress!
~Kristina W. "PositiveKK"
Assistant Production Manager

No comments: