Friday, January 2, 2009

"It Was All A Dream...."

K. Smalls here people...welcoming you to the new year. 2009....or as a good friend of mine put it...2000-Mine. Today I was riding the Red Line on my way to work...just vibing. I started thinking about this endeavor we began in the spring of 2008...this thing that I named "Tougher Than Leather" one night during a long shower. Yes, that makes me a RUN DMC fan to the heart, without question. But today, on the train I was listening to my main man Biggie Smalls....feeling like today was the beginning of an amazing....kind of like the way I felt the first time I heard Ready To Die way back in 1995. When "Juicy" hit the air it was some inspirational shit man. No question. And I realized that in the last ten years whenever I felt like I needed to restart my internal clock....I played this record. Why? Because what Big represented was THE DREAM. The dead end kid gone legit....the dude that made good on his drive and his talent. BIGGER than LIFE. BIGGER than DEATH. Forever....

You might wonder what in the hell this has to do with the film I'm looking to shoot come springtime (funding pending), right? Well...I'll tell you...EVERYTHING. My commute to work, and how BIG or Big Daddy Kane or Slick Rick or any of the other real emcees that were on my mix made me feel...that's HIP HOP. How it has shaped and molded and enriched my entire life: how I walk and talk and dress and write and feel. How I express myself. How I even ended up in film in the first place. And to think...it all started (at least in a serious way) in a bedroom in Livorno Italy in the summer of 1988....

We are pushing to have the funding for TTL by spring....and I look to be directing the shoots in Europe by summertime. For those of you holding us down with prayers and side gigs and encouragement...or even just interest...We Love You. For those of you who may just check out my blogs on myspace or hit me up on the email tip from time to time and enquire about things...thanks to you too. To my crew: K-Easy, PostiveKK, Jellybean (see how we all have hip hop nicknames) and extended fam....Let's Do This!!!! GO SEE NOTORIOUS WHEN IT HITS THE THEATER. WE MISS YOU BIG.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM....

K.SMALLS

No comments: