Monday, March 30, 2009

"It's been a long time"..... since we checked our health!

I was just sitting here eating a salad with homemade avocado salsa, sunflower seeds and grapes when I thought...I totally need to blog...it's been a long time. And you're probably thinking what does salad have to do with blogging or Hip Hop, well alot actually, and thanks K-Easy for the inspiration and the shout outs (on the healthy eating tip...I try not to be a vegetable nazi...which I have been called before, lol). Presently myself and K. Smalls are doing this spring rejuvenation detox...we just started today, but have been preparing for like a week or so. We have all these awesome (but not so tasty) herbs to take, and all these super veggies, fruits and grains to eat prepared with out salt or sugar. I know some people might be thinking, yall are tripping, no salt or sugar. And so, this brings me to the point of this entry. In Hip Hop culture we are constantly checking things including, our sneakers, our swag, our mics, and even other emcees but not so often do we check our health, especially this generation. Think about it, media and commercial hip-pop culture has got our minds consumed with everything from rims to bling, but not our health. And I don't just mean going to the doctor for your regular check up. Your health is your responsibility, not necessarily that of the doctor who is gonna get paid whether you follow his good, or not so good advice or not. Hip Hop is used to market and promote everything, including carbonated beverages and snacks (not to call any one/brand out). Associate a popular rappers name with a new high fructose, sodium, or caffeine loaded snack and you have something people are willing to buy. I personally think, it's kinda like using rappers to push crack (not to take it too another level), but recognize how much junk is packed in the food we eat everyday that we aren't even really aware of, now multiply that times the crack, I mean crap they push and we eat, that we know isn't good for us. We've gotta make better choices, and stop allowing the excuses, "this is all I know, or all I've ever done" to keep us from living optimal lives. Just the other day I went to this international food market. It was beautiful, there was a variety of not so pretty (yes fresh food sometimes have bugs on them), but all natural fruits and veggies, and a myriad of healthier food options including beans, grains, and even less sodium filled condiments. But as I walked a lil further down near the store exit what did I (actually my mom) notice right away but some potato chips and soda, and her words were exactly "I guess we've reached the American food section." It's sad, but true. But, just because they're pushing it, doesn't mean we have to buy it, or that we don't have other options. The other day I spoke to a brother (who is also doing the detox)who said, "I didn't grow up eating vegetables" (and trust me, I acknowledge the many social factors that influence why some people don't eat like they should), "but I eat them now, not necessarily because I have a taste for them, but because they are good for my health." This is what I call "checking your self and your health." We all know that many of our ancestors, ate unhealthy because they had no or very little choices (literally they were eating to survive), but now we do have a choice, and even a responsibility (I would say) to make better choices... Eat to prosper, not just to survive. And that doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you eat, or that you have to give up everything cold turkey... it means be conscious about the choices you make. Baby steps are better than no steps at all. So, before I part with this PSA I want to suggest that Hip Hop be used just as much to promote truth, health, and wellness as it's used to promote some one's hood/block, fancy car, or decadent lifestyle that could be compromising their health. Peace and prosperity!
~PositiveKK

No comments: