Monday, May 25, 2009

Prince Paul and 3 ft. High and Rising for 20 years









Alright for those of you who missed it because you weren't an "80's baby", didn't quite mess with them, or you just didn't know. It has been 20 years since De La Soul(my fav rap group of all time) released their 1st and classic album(yes a-l-b-u-m) 3 Feet High and Rising. I recently went to see DJ Prince Paul do his thang @ Zentra night club in which he tore it down for 2 hrs straight playing cuts from Apache/Sugar Hill Gang to Black Moon, Special Ed, 50 Cent, Gangstarr, (90's)Snoop Dogg. He had everybody sweating in that joint. I digress, Prince Paul is responsible for finding, signing, and producing their breakout album. The members Trugoy, Posdnous, and Baby Huey aka Plug one, two, and three have continued puttin it down and this was our first glimpse into their world of daisies, physcadelic, quirkiness-off the beaten path intelligence mixed with pure silly, to produce songs that we still love to hear comin thru any speaker. Joints like "Me,Myself and I", "Buddy", "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa", and Potholes in my Lawn" I can say growing up they were NOT the norm of gold rope necklaces, velour track suits, and fly rides. They were more your African medallions, regular tshirts/dashikis, and bus/train riders type of cats which made them more tangible to the ever growing hip hop community back then. It's still the reason why people love them to this very day. I can't lie. As a shorty of age 10 coming up then I thought "potholes" song was wack. I didn't really get into them until their second single "Me Myself and I" and i've been "pluged" ever since.
Below is an audio link from the De La about how they made 3ft High and everything else that made it a classic...take time to listen and enjoy. d.a.i.s.y.!


http://hiphopblips.dailyradar.com/story/behind_the_making_of_de_la_soul_s_3_feet_high_rising/

No comments: